What are hiccups? A hiccup is a sudden, involuntary contraction (spasm) of the diaphragm muscle. When the muscle spasms, the vocal cords snap shut, producing the hiccup sound.
To get rid of hiccups people generally experiment with endless weird tricks, like keeping their mouth open for a minute, looking straight up to the ceiling or breathing into a paper bag. But we really don’t know which remedy actually works and for whom.
There is no such trick or a remedy that can be called as effective if you are diagnosed with a hiccup. But there are some well accepted remedies which can stimulate your phrenic nerves, and those are connected to your diaphragm.
Let’s see how hiccups are caused
Hiccups are caused when your diaphragm begins to spasm involuntarily. And these diaphragm helps us to breathe in and out. And the sound comes when you get hiccups are caused due to inhaling suddenly when a vocal cord snap shut.
In some cases, your hiccups can go quickly and some causes are
- Eating too much spicy food
- Eating fast or swallowing air with food
- Drinking alcohol
- Aerated drinks
- Experiencing sudden temperature change
Abdominal surgery can trigger the nerve that controls the diaphragm which leads to hiccups
- Brain tumor
- Out of excitement or fear
- Liver disease or lung disorder
How can I get rid or stop or cure these hiccups fast
- Practice breathing: Measuring your breath like counting till 5 while inhaling and exhale counting till 5 can stop your hiccups
- Holding breath: breathing in and trying gulping in a huge air for about 10-20 seconds and exhale slowly. Which can be repeated if necessary
- Breathing into a paper bag: Take a paper bag place it over your mouth and nose try inhaling and exhaling slowly into it. Remember to use only a paper bag, not a plastic bag.
- Hugging knees: Sit down with knees holding near your chest continue this for 2 min. Can cure your hiccups fast
- Try to breathe out while pinching your nose and keeping your mouth closed.
- Pull your tongue out, you have to grab the tip of your tongue and pull it out gently do it for 3-4 times
- This seems funny but you have to squeeze your nose closed while you swallow the water
- Take your thumb place it on your palm on the other hand and apply pressure
- Take cold icy water and drink slowly sip by sip can cure your hiccups
- Drinking warm water slowly without stopping your breath
- Drink water with a cloth or paper towel, you have to cover a glass with a cloth or paper towel and drink water from it can stop your hiccups
- Sucking ice cube, take an ice cube to suck it for a few minutes when it shrinks to a smaller size then swallow it.
- Gargle for 30 seconds with icy cold water
- Take honey or peanut butter put it in your mouth allow it to dissolve in your mouth and then swallow it.
- Take a normal size sugar granule put it on your tongue for 5 to 10 sec and then swallow
- Sucking on a lemon, you can add salt on your lemon slice too
- Taking a vinegar drop on your tongue can cure your hiccups fast
- Some unusual ways of getting rid of hiccups having an orgasm, YES you read it right there, there was a case when a guy had hiccups which lasted for 4 days and then it went away when he had an orgasm.
- Stimulating your phrenic nerves which is at the back of your neck
- Gagging or poking the back of your throat with some cotton swab, rub gently at the back of your throat until you gag or cough. Reflexes like gagging or coughing can stimulate vaginal nerves
- Engage yourself with some entertaining stuff, hiccups will go away. Play a game or watch a movie, listen to some songs engage yourself in some activities focus on some other things than hiccups.
Some of the remedies you can do it at home and you can get rid of your hiccups fast. As it is one of the annoying and weird body quirks a human has.
How to prevent getting hiccups
There are some common practices that initiate the hiccups, whether it can be related to some lifestyle issues, changes in your habits may prevent having hiccups. You some behavior triggers hiccups if you keep a close look at some.
- Don’t consume much alcohol
- Eat at normal speed
- Avoid eating spicy food
- Don’t take big bites
- Try meditating
- Do not drink carbonated drinks
How to get rid of baby hiccups
As in adults, hiccups are also very common to have in newborn babies and you need not worry about them. But if you are feeding your baby while it is having hiccups you should stop feeding. And the hiccups will go away naturally.
Changing the position of your baby or a toddler and trying to get him burp may stop its hiccups. Or even feeding your baby might stop their hiccups. And if the hiccups get worse or you think it’s not stopping then you should always contact your doctor.
Here are some proven remedies to cure your baby hiccups
Stop take a break from feeding and let your baby burp
Take a break from feeding which may result in stopping hiccups of your baby, excessive gas may cause hiccups to your baby and burping can help. Pediatrics suggest you burp your baby if you are feeding it from the bottle and it should be done after every 2-3 ounces. And if your baby is breastfed you should burp them when you switch breasts.
Remember: You should always rub your baby’s back when they are having a hiccup. Do not hit or slap that area roughly, with giving too much force
Using a pacifier
If your baby starts having hiccups then try giving them a pacifier to suck, as it may help relax the diaphragm and it will help stop the bout of hiccups
Let the hiccup go on its own
The hiccups will stop on its own, you need not worry about it if it’s not bothering your baby. And it does not happen the hiccups do not go away even if you are trying to get rid of them then try to let the doctor know about it.
Feeding gripe water
You can try feeding your baby gripe water, it is made up of herbs and water, it can be another way to stop hiccups in your baby. Herbs can include ginger, fennel, cinnamon, chamomile. And we recommend that you consult your baby’s doctor before giving your baby anything new.
Remember: Always check the ingredients if you are giving sore gripe water to your baby.
It is not always said what has caused your baby hiccups. Hiccups can be a normal part of your baby if the baby is under the age of 1. It can be part of development. And also it will not bother your baby is not vomiting with hiccups.
Hiccups should stop or go away after your baby’s first birthday. If it is not stopping and your baby is still feeling cranky then you should consult your doctor, he will be able to discover the possible causes.
Would you like to read – Vitamin B6 Deficiency, Symptoms and Signs in adults